If you are having second thoughts about volunteering, taking a gap year or a career break to explore the beautiful Islands of Fiji, while making a long lasting impact in the communities and the environment, check this blog from Anna, one of our former Fiji volunteers and find out why you can’t go wrong when joining World volunteering projects in Fiji.
I’m originally from the US, live in Chicago and have been looking into having a volunteering experience and visiting countries and communities that seem so distant to me for a while. I’ve always been intrigued about Fiji since it’s not really a place we hear a lot about, and when looking into volunteering opportunities there I’ve immediately came across World Volunteering projects online. So after being helped and supported by their staff I was convinced of taking the plunge and I can’t stress enough how lucky I am that I did!
And here I would like to share with you the main reason you should have that experience too and why volunteering in this location and with World Volunteering is something unique and unforgettable:
1. First of all, if you love the sand, the sea, the sun and warm weather, you couldn’t find a better paradise for it! Get ready to spend time exploring some of the most beautiful beaches on Earth, world class dive sites and enjoying the dolphins that reside permanently right next to your project base!
2. From the get go you will have the amazing opportunity of fully immersing yourself and having an extraordinary cultural exchange experience while working together with Indigenous Fijian communities. And trust me when I tell you they are the most welcoming people you will ever find! You’ll even have some chances to learn the local language!
3. Giving something back is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have. And when you see the actual vital role you can play in providing much needed support to teachers and kids from under-resourced communities, it’s even more rewarding! And you can rest assure that you will get back so much more than what you’ve given!
4. Being able to volunteer with an organization where your opinion matters; where there’s room for creativity, for introducing new ideas, and taking the lead in the activities you perform in each project is really valuable and unique. Being listened, followed and trusted is and incredible plus!
5. You will be able to experience personal growth beyond you could have ever expected and learn firsthand about some of the most challenging issues our world is facing. You will learn and grow from this personal experience much more than with any class or text book.
6. Take this opportunity to meet new people, make friends from all over the globe with whom you will be able to connect in a very special way and create an everlasting bond!
7. Be challenged and leave behind your comfort zone! There will be plenty of opportunities in which you will be challenged and have to recur to your creative thinking, skills and ideas, which will provide you the incredible opportunity of leaving behind your comfort zone and further develop yourself as an individual! You will learn so much and improve your professional skills beyond expectations.
8. You will be volunteering with an organization that has short, mid and long-term objectives that fit with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. You will be taken through the UN SDGs upon arrival to base and after participating in the project life you will see how your personal involvement contributes to these goals on a global level.
9. Have fun! These 3 weeks were definitely the most fun I’ve had in ages! Exploring the area with new friends, going for hikes, learning to dive, trying out traditional food, learning from the history of the country, and of course, enjoying my time putting a smile and helping the kids from the communities you work with is something unique!
10. Be supported by the incredibly professional, diverse, well prepared and extremely friendly World Volunteering team! They are there 24/7 ready to check on you, guide you through your daily activities, clear out any doubts you may have on the projects or destination, and have fun too! They are the most easy to reach team and it’s hard leaving them behind since you become a part of their family quite quickly too!
World Volunteering and the exotic Islands of Fiji exceeded all of my expectations and I can’t wait to go back again. If you are still having second thoughts, just take that leap of faith and trust me when I tell you that you can’t go wrong when choosing World Volunteering and Fiji. This is a life changing experience worth taking!
If you are now ready to go ahead and make this experience come true make sure to contact our World Volunteering experts and let your adventure of a lifetime start by clicking here